I feel compelled to share a list of 10 + free personal bookkeeping software to download on your computer or any other device and use without paying a penny.
The choice will depend on the personal finances you want to manage, but all software listed in this post can help you achieve your goals.
Some also have paid versions you can use to access advanced tools depending on your needs and the goals you want to achieve in the short and long run.
Mint was designed to help people manage their budgets, spending, know the balances and credit score, etc., at any time.
This software is user-friendly; more than 25 million users worldwide have already downloaded and connected it with their financial accounts.
- You don’t have to pay a penny to use Mint because it is free.
- It will enable you to connect all your accounts in one place without using multiple apps.
- This software will also help you to manage cash, investments, loans in addition to your personal budget.
- You will know when your bills are due, manage your subscription, and be informed when their costs increase.
- Mint will easily create your budgets, automatically categorize your transactions and help you to make more savings.
- It will provide you with insights on your credit score 24/7 for free.
Some users say that sometimes there are mistakes in automatic categorizations, but you can make manual adjustments when it happens. You must also be at least 18 old to use this software.
Designed to be user-friendly and flexible, GnuCash a financial accounting software you can download and start using for free to manage your personal finances all those of your small business.
- This software is free to download and use.
- It will help you track and manage your income, expenditures, bank accounts, stocks, investments, etc.
- You can trust GnuCash because it is based on professional accounting principles to help users have balanced books and accurate financial reports.
- You will have the ability to enter split transactions and make bank accounts reconciliations.
- You can display multiple accounts in one register window and analyze them easily.
- GnuCash will enable you to create and personalize recurring transactions, automatic reminders, and lots more.
- It will provide you with the necessary accounting summary reports.
Due to the nature of financial accounting, this software is not easy to use on mobile devices.
It can also be challenging to set up if you are using the business version, but this can vary on everyone’s abilities.
Personal Capital is an app that you can use for free to manage your personal finances, credit cards, loans, and investments. It can be the best alternative to Mint.
To start using this software, you will need to create an account and follow the provided instructions in your account dashboard.
- Thousands of people all across the United States are using this software with total satisfaction.
- Its planning and analytics tools allow managing accounts, loans, and investments in one place.
- The owners provide advice to help people build wealth depending on their personal situations.
- Personal Capital has the ability to assess your particular situation and give you insights into your chances of retirement success.
- It also provides many other benefits.
Even if it is free to open an account and get started, the owners of the Personal Capital software charge a 0.89% account management fee.
This rate can be lowered to 0.49% in case your accounts have larger balances.
AceMoney is another personal finance software you can download and use for free to manage your accounts, credit cards, loans, and savings.
- AceMoney will enable you to manage all of your personal financial accounts with no hassle in a single dashboard.
- It is easy to use for beginners, allows tracking income, investments, bills, and recording expenses.
- You can use this software to manage multiple accounts and multiple currencies in one place.
- You will access the reports on your various accounts portfolio at any time.
AceMoney is not really free because the owners provide only 30 days to try it for free.
They will charge you a one-time fee of $39.99 to keep using it after the trial period, which is also a good bargain.
Goodbudget is a virtual budget software you can download on Android, iOS, or access via your web browser and start using for free to keep track of your budget.
You can even use this software’s time-tested envelope budgeting method to allocate a part of your budget to your family members or friends.
Budgeting – This budgeting software will enable you to make envelopes for all your spending categories, including rent, groceries, eating out, sports activities, etc.
Budget sharing – You can also use Goodbudget to show your household members how you spend your budget. They will automatically see on their mobile devices what’s spent, where, and when.
Big expenses saving – This software can also help you plan your family’s expected big expenses such as buying a new car or a family vacation and making savings accordingly.
Debts payment – Some people find it challenging to pay off their debts, and if you are in such a situation, this software will track your debt payoff progress until you become debt-free.
The free version has some limitations; you will need to pay $7 per month or $60 annually to get the benefits of advanced tools.
Buddi is an open-source software you can download on your computer, set up your family’s budget, and follow your day-to-day expenses. Someone else in your family can even use it.
Open-source software – The owners have designed this software to be used on every computer and configured in multiple languages.
Easy to set up – In general, you will not have difficulty setting up Buddi and start using it to create and manage your financial accounts.
It will even enable you to create budgeting categories, define recurring financial transactions, and lots more.
Support – This software doesn’t offer traditional support, but its official website features all the information you need to make it work for you at best.
There is also a Buddi forum where members share information on tips and tricks to manage their personal finances efficiently and help to solve some challenges encountered when using this software.
The fact that there is no traditional support can be a real disadvantage, especially for people who are not used to these kinds of software.
As a free app downloadable on all mobile devices, PocketGuard was designed to simplify personal finance management and help users control their money by optimizing spending.
- PocketGuard helps set aside the money for every category of expenditures and know the balance after each spending.
- It will give you insights into the expenses that consume a lot of money and see how to lower them if possible.
- This software has tools to set up payoff strategies, follow the defined schedule and stay as debt-free as possible.
- You can manage your accounts in one place (banks, credit cards, investments, and loans) and keep track of everything easily.
- The owners also say that their software provides data security, as do the major banks.
Even if PocketGuard is free to download and use, the free version provides access to limited tools.
You will need to upgrade your account to PocketGuard Pro for $4.99 per month or $34.99 a year to use advanced tools.
Once you choose Tiller for managing your personal finances, you will get the tools to connect this software with your bank accounts and credit cards. It will then pull daily transaction data into a sheet on Google Docs.
Easy to use – Tiller software is so easy to use that you don’t need prior training or special skills. The owners say that it makes automatic updates from over 100,000 financial institutions.
No annoying advertisements – Unlike similar services that offer free options and inundate users with too many annoying advertisements, the Tiller owners promise never to do that.
Support – Besides the possibility to track all your accounts at a glance and in one place, this software also provides US-based support by chat and email for users to ask questions, advice, etc.
Tiller is not free to use; you will only get 30 days to try it and see how it works. They will then charge you $6.58 per month or $79 per year if you want to keep using it after the trial period.
Albert works with some of the world’s largest financial institutions; it has a finance team ready to give everyone honest and personalized advice on managing their money better.
- Albert mobile banking will automatically save and invest on your behalf from your paycheck.
- You can request an advance of up to $250 free of charge. This amount will be automatically deducted for your next paycheck.
- This software will analyze your income and spending throughout the week and make automatic savings.
- Its team of financial experts will also analyze the opportunities for you to invest in various US and global funds and give you the necessary advice.
- It will also guide you on how to sign up for the essential insurance policies to protect your home, belongings, etc.
The owners say that this software is free to use but will charge you $4 to $6 per month to use its advanced tools through the “Albert Genius platform.”
Google Sheets is the last one of the best free personal bookkeeping software I want to talk about in this post.
Once downloaded on your preferred device, it will enable you to edit, organize, and analyze your personal finances quickly.
Other members of your family can also use this spreadsheet to edit and format files in real-time, track changes and see the revision history.
You will find easy-to-use monthly budget templates in this software’s default template gallery, as well as graphs and statistics to visualize your savings or expenses.
The expenditures can include rent, food, transportation, gifts, gifts, various other bills gifts, etc., depending on your household living mode.
Once you have entered the budget and expenditures related to each category, the sheet will compare them and see if there is a balance to make some savings.
The Best Accounting Software
Now that you know the most popular software for managing your personal finances, I found it helpful to show you a few others you can use to manage your small business’s accounting.
QuickBooks is one of the best online accounting software for small businesses currently available on the market.
I will not explain the benefits of using this cloud-based software because I have already reviewed it in the past.
As a small business owner, I can tell you that you can use QuickBooks on your preferred device to create, store, and send invoices, but it would be better if you use a computer.
I invite you to read the QuickBooks review to discover this software better, the benefits it can bring you, and its pricing plans.
Xero is another cloud-based accounting software used by the owners of small and medium-sized businesses in more than 180 countries worldwide.
Bills Payments – This tool will give you an overview of the bills due for payment so that you can schedule their payment on time to avoid late fees.
You will also get an accurate report on unpaid bills waiting for approval, purchase orders and build good relationships with your suppliers.
Expenditure Management – This tool will give you insights into your company’s employee expense claims so that you can approve them and make reimbursements quickly.
Bank Connection – You can also connect your bank accounts to this software and manage all day-to-day transactions and bank reconciliation securely in one place.
Project Tracking – This is where you will track and manage your projects’ operations, including quotes, invoices, payments, due dates, etc., profitably.
- Starter: $20 per month; it is suitable for new businesses, sole traders, and self-employed.
- Standard: $30 a month, it is appropriate for growing small businesses.
- Premium: $40 per month, this plan is for established businesses of all sizes.
FreshBooks provides complete accounting solutions for businesses of all sizes (small, medium, and big). You can find below a brief overview of its key features:
Invoicing – You will find here the tools to make professional-looking invoices in a few clicks and collect your accounts receivable to replenish your cash flow.
Expenses – This feature will help you track your business’s expenses effortlessly, know how you spend every single dollar and be ready to pay tax on time.
Projects – This is another important tool you can use to collaborate on different projects seamlessly. It will help to organize all your projects in one place.
Time Tracking – This tool will help to track the time used by your team when working on various clients’ projects to invoice exactly for the work done.
Time Tracking – This is where you will track the time used by your team when working on various clients’ projects so that you can invoice exactly for the work done.
Payments – Freshbooks also has the tools for users to accept various payment methods, including credit cards, and get paid faster than before.
Accounting – The person in charge of accounting within your company will use this feature for double-entry accounting.
The system will automatically check your transactions to see if they balance and help you to stay accurate and compliant.
- Elite Plan: $7.50 per month for five billable clients.
- Plus Plan: $12.50 a month for 50 billable clients.
- Premium Plan: $25.00 per month for unlimited billable clients.
The Final Thoughts
This is the end of this post about the 10 free personal bookkeeping software to download on your computer or any other device you like and start using.
It is up to you to choose the most likely to meet the management of your personal finances.
Some also allow adding other members of your household, which can help you be more transparent.
I have also provided you with the best accounting software to use if you own a small, medium, or big business. They are all available at great prices and offer many benefits.
I particularly recommend using Freshbooks because it is complete software designed to manage all types and sizes of businesses. The costs are also affordable.
Thank you for taking your valuable time to read this post; I hope you will find it helpful.
it will also help if you share a comment with other visitors of this blog at the bottom of this page.